Sunday, 18 March 2012

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO BARBARA...

Ena and Betty, Daughers of Asher and Mrs Wertheimer 1901 - now owned by Tate Britain

Some years ago, when the VV found a postcard of this painting by John Singer Sargent she was stunned by the resemblance it bore to her mother, Barbara, and her mother's sister, Hazel.

It is in fact a portrait of Ena (Helena) and Betty (Elizabeth) Wertheimer, the daughters of a dealer who helped to secure comissions for the artist for, despite his youthful enthusiasm for painting the sea and all things marine, Sargent actually went on to find his fame when creating such glamorous portraits as this.

In Tate Etc, the Tate's online magazine, I found Josh Lacey's description of his first impression of this painting -

"One afternoon I was wandering through Tate Britain and noticed a full-length portrait of two women, hanging so high that I had to walk back and look up, straining my neck. I was entranced by their animation, their intentness, their openness, the force of their personalities.

They are two of the daughters of Asher Wertheimer, a successful Jewish art dealer who had a gallery in Bond Street. I imagine him as wealthy and successful, but always insecure, always conscious that he was, to some extent, considered a foreigner. He commissioned John Singer Sargent to paint twelve portraits of himself, his wife and their children. Jacques-Emile Blanche, who knew both the artist and the family, wrote that Sargent “was excited when he did the Wertheimer family, the father whom Rembrandt would have painted with a turban, the daughters with their gypsy complexion”. The portraits forged a friendship between the enigmatic American painter and the big, bustling brood of Wertheimers. Soon, Sargent was a constant visitor at their house and a place was always kept for him at their dinner table.

I’ve now seen all twelve, but this remains my favourite, mainly because of the passion and vitality in Ena’s face. She’s standing on the right, one hand resting on a vase, the other looped around her younger sister’s waist. Sargent sketched and painted her several times. In some way, although no one knows quite how, he fell for her. And, via him, I did too."

I'm with Josh. Those girls look like fun, just as Barbara and Hazel Harris were - and still are - and hopefully will be for many years to come.


ADDENDUM: Thanks to the lovely author Liz Fenwick and her comment below, I have now discovered this glorious portrait of Isabella Stewart Gardner. Isn't it striking! It makes me love Sargent's work even more.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I can see the similarity! Lovely post - and hope you have a great Mothering Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here....and I can see the resemblance to you, too VV! Happy Mother's Day to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this painting too...love Sargent's work since i first saw his painting of Isabella Stewart Gardner in her home (museum) in Boston
    lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Adele and Clare - I hope you are having lovely days.

    And Liz, I had not seen that portrait. Isn't it wonderful! Have now posted a copy of it in the main body of the post - and I think I really should look more into Isabella's life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very powerful in person...or at least my memory tells me so. She was the most amazing a lady and the museum is my favourite in Boston...
    lx

    ReplyDelete